Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Friday, November 19, 2010

Sotheby's

I have so much to learn regarding photography.

We barely scratched the surface in our "Words and Images" class, although I got some very helpful feedback regarding both the story (poem) I chose to share along with its accompanying photograph. I intend to take additional classes with the instructor, Meredith Mullins. Even better, I've made some new friends and after class we went to a local cafe on the Ile St. Louis for lunch. After lunch, I tagged along with classmates who wanted to go to Sotheby's to check out the photographs which were slated for auction today.

Wow! I've never been to Sotheby's before and was surprised that just anyone could go in and browse - and take pictures! There were some wonderful photos and some were quite "affordable" - but far beyond my idea of affordable . . .

One of my favorites, a 1923 photo of Notre Dame by Eugène Atget ended up selling for 168,750 euros.

It was fun to look, though.


One of my classmates was interested in bidding on this Karsh portrait of Georgia O'Keeffe. I'm not sure if she got it or not.


Anyway, this is the "Month of the Photo" in Paris, and I hope to visit many more exhibits before the month is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment