Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Friday, June 4, 2010

Aragon - the poet

I have a well known name in Paris. People, upon hearing my name would often say "like the poet" referring to Louis Aragon a well known Parisian. That said, I have never read his poetry, and didn't really know much about my namesake. This spring I began to see posters all over town announcing an exposition called "Aragon et l'art moderne" (Aragon and modern art).


One morning this week, I decided to learn more and I set out for the little known museum which was within walking distance of my apartment. The expo was very interesting and I discovered his poems, books, and photos. I was surprised to learn of the close relationship between Aragon and the major artists of the 20th century from 1920 till his death in 1982. The exhibit was filled with paintings and drawings by Ernst, Arp, Man Ray, Miro, De Chirico, Klee, Matisse, Picasso, Chagall, and others. Unfortunately, photography wasn't allowed so all I have to show is the poster above. By the way, Aragon lived just around the corner and I pass by this plaque every single day . . .

1 comment: