Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Amateur photographer

I went out early this morning hoping to see and photograph the eclipse of the sun visible from Paris. A serious photographer would have carefully plotted viewpoints, camera angles, and timing. I neglected to do that. I did check for cloud cover, and got an early start. However, I'm not exactly sure where to look for the rising sun (my windows face west and I know all about sunset, but not sunrise). The task is complicated by the tall buildings all around here. So I ended up wandering east, eyes on the sky, looking for breaks in the buildings and in the clouds.

I never did see the sun or the eclipse - too many clouds. But I did end up in a neighborhood I'd never visited before. I found a couple of parks full of rhododendrons, azaleas, and cherry trees, and vowed to come back when they're flowering. I also stumbled on this church. It's called Notre Dame de l'Arche d'Alliance. It was designed by the same architects that created the Institut du Monde Arabe (more on that one later).






Front doors:


Closeup of exterior walls:


P.S. Did I mention that my daughter-in-law Rachel is an architect? So I often think of her when stumbling on unique structures such as this.

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoy seeing pictures of the architecture you are discovering in Paris. I can't wait to see some of these sights with you later this year!!! Love, Rach

    ReplyDelete