Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Monday, January 31, 2011

Accordion music

Odette called me up last week and asked if I'd like to join her on Saturday night for an accordion concert at a small bar near the Canal St. Martin where the audience is encouraged to sing along with the music. Saturday night? Sure, I have no plans. (I grumble under my breath - anything's better than spending another weekend alone . . . (

I'm ready to try anything - and am delighted to find that it really is fun to sing along with the accordion group called "Les Tigresses Diatoniques".

They pass out the words to each song and I am surprised at how everyone seems to know the music. The classic tunes are from Brassens, Brel, Piaf, etc. OK, there aren't any 18 year olds in here - but the age range is much larger than I would have expected. Here we are singing "Padam" made famous by Edith Piaf.


I learned something, too. The "diatonic" accordion has only buttons, and NOT piano keys. I never noticed before.


On Sunday, I went back to the rue Mouffetard where they feature accordion music, sing-alongs and dancing in the street every Sunday from ~12 to ~2pm.

1 comment:

  1. That strip of the Canal St. Martin is one of the trendiest spots in Paris pour les jeunes bobos (c'est à dire, moi)... tu étais au plein coeur d'un des quartiers les plus branchés, alors c'est pas mal pour un samedi soir...

    ReplyDelete