Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Autumn treasures

After a few days of rain, the sun has come out and the weather has been relatively mild for November - a good time to go for a walk in the forest of Sénart about 25 km south of Paris.

The leaves have mostly fallen, and it wasn't until the we were returning to the car that we crossed paths with some mushroom hunters.

Mushrooms! I am wild about mushroom hunting - as you can see in the photo below - the result of a spectacular mushroom hunt a few years ago in southern Colorado where I collected several pounds of chanterelles and cèpes (also known as porcini or boletus edulis).

So yesterday, when I caught sight of a basket full of mushrooms in the arms of a fellow hiker in the woods, I was entranced. Too bad we had to get back to Paris for an appointment and didn't have time for a hunt. And unfortunately I don't really know how to read the oak forest where local mushrooms hide.

This is all I saw - no cèpes or chanterelles - and not good to eat :-(


Anyway, maybe I can return to the forest for another hunt in the days to come. . .

1 comment:

  1. The photo of the beautiful trees is spectacular, Elaine! You are always into such FUN adventures...embracing each day, doing exactly what you should....living life to it's fullest. My heart is happy for you (and my head, too..)!!

    ReplyDelete