Why this blog?

To understand why this blog was created and where it got its name, start here

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wine class

I've been drinking wine with dinner for decades now, but I've never actually taken a formal wine tasting class - until last week. We swirled and sniffed, slurped and chewed our wine - releasing aromas, flavors and textures. We analyzed appearance, nose, and finish - all the while looking for balance, concentration, complexity, and personality.




Hmmm. Interesting. But for me, wine is all about the food that it accompanies. So I trust what Francis tells me when I'm at the Cabane a Huitres and he has only one wine selection to go with the oysters (a local sauvignon blanc). I also trust his judgement when he suggests that I try a sweeter wine with the foie gras or a Medoc with the brebis cheese. Only one type of cheese - only one wine. Easy.

Another option when you don't know what type of wine to serve with your dinner? I turn to my local caviste (wine guy). I can always trust Gwen (yes, it's a man's name in Brittany) to make an excellent suggestion based on the occasion, the menu, and the budget.

1 comment: